Sunday, March 02, 2008

There Are Doors (6)






George Orwell lived at 27a Canonbury Square, Islington in 1945, when he was writing 1984, although much of the work on the novel was done in a remote cottage on the Isle of Jura, Scotland. The entrance to his basement flat wasn’t on the square itself, but through an unassuming gateway around the corner, close to Canonbury Tower.


UnlikelyWorldsfactoid: the grandmother of my friend Kim Newman rented the flat from Orwell while he was on Jura, and as part payment typed up the manuscript of 1984.

2 Comments:

Blogger PeteY said...

Hi Paul,

I think the other comment (above) is toxic. I clicked the "Attention" link and got a nasty popup that tried to get me to install antivirus s/w for my XP machine. I'm using a Mac. I suggest you delete it, if you can. Cheers, P
PS I like the doors, London is great like that.

March 03, 2008 1:51 am  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

Hi Petey,

Deleted - the blog seems to be attracting comment spam again and I'm dealing with it when I can, but it's man v. robot!

Paul

March 03, 2008 8:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts