Thursday, October 01, 2009

Another Commercial Break

Gardens of the Sun is amongst the deluge of books published on this Super Thursday. So why not head out to your favourite bookshop, go straight past the piles of stuff by TV personalities towards the quiet calm of the SF section, and do the right thing? Readers in the US might like to know, if they don't already, that The Quiet War is available for download to their Kindles.

I'll be posting the last extract from Gardens of the Sun tomorrow: a long chapter that will bring us to the end of the third section, and the midway of the book.

3 Comments:

Blogger qraal said...

Hi Paul

I just picked up "the Quiet War" and I'm about to start - I've just finished Niven & Lerner's "Juggler of Worlds" and Broderick's "K-Machines" so I'm not quite ready for another novel tonight. From Known Space to all Four Tegmark levels of the Multiverse(s)... what can i expect from the universe of "The Quiet War"?

October 01, 2009 1:23 pm  
Anonymous Nathan said...

Got my copy of 'Gardens' last week in Forbidden Planet Birmingham- thanks to your published extracts I am now about two-thirds through. The verdict so far- a great read. I have found it easier to get into than 'Quiet' (not to say I did not enjoy it), but I guess when you are used to the 'universe' it is easier to connect.
One query if you have time- the Europe of the TPA- anything like the geopolitical Europe of today, or more of a broader entity?

October 01, 2009 2:36 pm  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

Hi Graal, I think the blurb pretty much covers it. You're going to follow several characters through the slow but inevitable and seemingly unstoppable build-up towards a war, in all kinds of photogenic and real locations.

Nathan, The Europe of the TPA may include Russia, but otherwise it's mostly the same (I'm assuming that, like New Zealand, it won't be as badly affected by climate change as the rest of the workd, so will be relatively stable, politically).

October 03, 2009 3:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts